This lute model can be strung as a ten course renaissance lute or an eleven course baroque lute by simply changing the upper courses. The bridge is drilled with two sets of holes which allows for easy string changing and the instrument comes with two nuts for the different tunings. The lower five courses remain the same and don’t change holes, so converting from 10 to 11 courses involves just changing the upper courses and nut which makes this a very versatile instrument for a wide range of musical pursuits.
The body of this instrument is modeled exactly on the original a choice of eleven or twenty-one ribs and contrasting rib spacers. The original instrument has twenty one ivory ribs with ebony spacers which is no longer possible to offer, so we offer the following options
- Figured maple with ebony spacers
- Bird's eye maple with ebony spacers
- Swiss pear wood with ebony spacers
This 11 course / ten course model is made with a 68cm string length which is long enough for a powerful tone in the D minor tuning, yet short enough to be comfortable to play in the renaissance tuning. This gives a pitch for the instrument as ""F"" at a-415 for the Baroque lute tuning and for the Renaissance tuning the instrument can be considered to be a bass lute at the pitch of ""E"" at a- 440.
- Back: Choice of 11 or 21 ribs, wood of choice with ebony spacers
- Italian spruce front
- Hand cut rose modeled on the original
- Decorative carving around rose
- Spruce neck core with ebony veneer
- Head maple rails with ebony trim
- Solid ebony head back plate (Decorative head back plate is optional)
- Ebony fingerboard, with points
- Pegs: choice of ebony, rosewood, boxwood, or mechanical pegs
- End button: to match the pegs
- Bone nut
- Maple chanterelle rider with ebony lining
- Maple bass rider with ebony lining
- Strings: nylon top strings and octaves with wound nylon basses
- Pear bridge with ebony top plate
- Ebony outlined mother of pearl heart at bottom of front
- Ebony front edge half binding
Full description and images can be found on the Instrument Page.
The package includes:
- Form-fitting Kingham case
- Case strap
- Instrument strap
- One year membership in the Lute Society of America
- One year warranty
Shipping will be added on to the price of the instrument and calculated for the transit between Duluth, MN and your location. Packing and insurance will be added to the shipping charge.
Please see the Terms of Sale/Shipping page for more information about deposits, warranties and shipping.