The original instrument was made by Martin Hoffmann, with the neck added by his son Joh. Christian Hoffmann, in Leipzig, Germany. The date of the construction is a little uncertain, but the instrument seems to have been made around 1670, and is now in the Nurnberg Germanisches Nationalmuseum, item number MI 245. The stringing is arranged with eight courses on the fingerboard at 69.5cm and five courses on an extension at 97cm. Although the instrument pictured here has a plain-backed extension, the back of the extension on the original is richly carved with floral figures and this feature may be added for an additional charge.
The cross-section of this instrument is slightly deeper than half round, which gives the tone of instrument a silvery, introspective quality having shimmering treble notes and deep basses.
The original instrument has 9 figured maple ribs with ebony spacers.
Lute specifications, Baroque model:
- String length 69.5cm (27 1/4")
- Overall length 122cm (48")
- Body length 48.5cm (19")
- Neck length 29.5cm (11 3/4" )
- Body width 31cm (12 1/4")
- Body depth 17.5cm (6 3/4")
Select from any desired options. If you would like to add a custom feature not on the list, contact us to discuss pricing.
Baroque Lute Features:
- Back and sides: 9 ribs, wood of choice with ebony spacers
- Engelmann spruce "AAA" quality
- Choice of rose design
- Neck - spruce with ebony veneer
- Ebony fingerboard, with points
- Pegs: choice of rosewood, boxwood or ebony
- End button: to match pegs
- Bone nut
- Extension - plain or decorations on back stained black
- Nylon top strings and octaves with wound nylon basses or gut strings
- Maple bridge with ebony top plate
- Ebony outlined mother of pearl or ivory heart at bottom of front
- Ebony front edge half binding
A deposit of 30% is required when you place the order.
Instrument package includes:
- Form fitting Kingham case
- One year membership in the Lute Society of America
- One year warranty
Shipping will be added on to the price of the instrument and calculated for the transit between Duluth, MN and your location. Packing and insurance will be added to the shipping charge.
Please see the Terms of Sale/Shipping page for more information about deposits, warranties and shipping..