This model of baroque guitar is based on an instrument made by Metto Sellas in Venice. The head of the original instrument has a label plate in which the year 1638 is given, presumably as the year of production. It is a large instrument with a string length of 69cm. The deep, vaulted back provides a large air chamber that result in a full, bright and projective tone. This is a great instrument for continuo or solo work.
Our version of the Sellas guitar has five double courses, (the first course is most commonly strung with a single string these days). There is a choice of wood for the back: pear with rosewood spacers, rosewood with pear spacers or figured maple with ebony spacers and the neck and head are mahogany. The front is a AAA Engelmann spruce that is at least twelve years old with a three layer wooden inset rose with a decorative purling around the sound hole. The fingerboard and head plate are ebony along with ebony edge binding around the front. You have a choice of either ebony, rosewood or boxwood for the pegs as well as an option for mechanical PegHeds, if you would like to use those. The strings that come standard on the instrument are synthetic, being made of nylon and fluorocarbon and there is an option for a set of gut strings.
Baroque guitars may be tuned one of several ways, using a mixture of fundamental and octave strings, depending on the repertoire played. The standard tuning that comes with the instrument is:
e-1 - unison pitches
b-2 - unison pitches
a-3 - unison pitches
d-4 - fundamental and octave pitches
a-5 - high octave unisons
- String length 69cm (27 1/8")
- Overall length 39" (99cm)
- Body length 18 1/2" (47cm)
- Neck length 12 1/2" (31.75cm)
- Body width, lower bouts 10" (25.5cm)
- Body width, waist 6 7/8" (17.5cm)
- Body width, upper bouts 8" (20.3cm)
- Body depth, deepest part of arch 4" (10.3cm)
You can order the instrument package here in the web store. We do require a 30% deposit on instruments, and when you put the instrument in the shopping cart this 30% will be calculated for checkout. When we get the order in the office, we will be in contact with you with the specifics about when the instrument will be delivered. Instruments currently take eight to ten months for delivery.
The basic instrument has the following features:
- Back: Thirteen ribs
- Sides: Six staves with contrasting spacers
- Front: AAA Englemann spruce with inset three layer wedding cake rosette
- Decoration: Decorative ring around rosette
- Neck: Mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ebony with points
- Head: mahogany with ebony head plate
- Pegs: Choice of ebony, rosewood or boxwood
- Strap button: Ebony
- Strings: Nylon
- Nut: Bone
Instrument package includes:
- One year membership in the Lute Society of America
- One year warranty
Please see the Terms of Sale/Shipping page for more information about deposits, warranties and shipping..