This instrument is modelled on an instrument made by Venere in 1596 in Bologna, Italy now in the Vienna museum, number C64. The original instrument has a string length of 64cm, but the design has been scaled down to 59cm for this reconstruction to make it more adaptable to modern playing techniques and pitch. The 59cm length makes it very easy to string with gut at the a-440 pitch and the gut top string is moderately durable at this length.
The adjusted body outline has been compared to another Venere lute in the Bologna collection that has a string length of 59cm to insure a consistent instrument style.
This shape has a slightly flattened back which brings the plane of the strings a little closer to the body, making it very comfortable to play. The sound is rich in overtones with a warm fundamental for a rich, bright and projective tone.
This lute model is available as:
- Six course lute
Seven course lute,(as the original)
Eight course lute
You can order the instrument package here in the web store. We do require a 30% deposit on instruments, and when you click the I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM PAYING FOR 30% OF THE TOTAL PAYMENT button the price will be reduced 70% so that you may check out with the 30% deposit. When we get the order in the office, we will be in contact with you with the specifics about when the instrument will be delivered. Instruments currently take eight to ten months for delivery and the balance of the payment will be payable upon completion of the instrument.
Venere model lute specifications:
- 59cm string length
- Overall length - 28"
- Body width - 17 1/4"
- Body Width - 12"
- Body depth - 5 1/2"
- String spacing between courses at bridge, (8 course), 10.1mm
- Spacing between strings in course at bridge, (8 course), 4.9mm
- String spacing between courses at nut, (8 course), 5.7mm
- Spacing between strings in course at nut, (8 course), 3.1
The Venere lute comes as a basic instrument with the features listed below, or, you can add custom features to it at additional charges. Click on the radio button next to the feature you want to see the additional cost.
Basic model features:
- Back: Eleven figured ribs
- Neck: Cherry wood
- Head: Cherry wood
- Choice of ebony, rosewood or boxwood pegs
- Front: "AAA" Engelmann spruce
- Rose: Pattern "A"
- Fingerboard: Cherry with rosewood edges and points
- Nut: Bone
- End Button: to match pegs
- Strings: Nylon and fluorocarbon with wound nylon basses
Optional features include:
- Pearwood back
- Figured maple back
- Bird's eye maple back
- Yew heartwood back
Decorative spacers in rib joints:
Western red cedar
Figured sitka spruce
Italian Alpine spruce
Figured Italian Alpine spruce
- Ebony binding
- Ebony binding with ebony heart
- Ebony binding with mother-of-pearl heart
- Boxwood binding with boxwood heart
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony points
- Ebony neck veneer
- Ebony/holly striped neck veneer
- Mechanical PegHed pegs
- Gut string set
- A choice of nine different rose designs
- Form fitting, custom made Kingham case
Instrument package includes:
- One-year membership in the Lute Society of America
- One-year warranty
Shipping will be added on to the price of the instrument and calculated for the transit between Duluth, MN and your location. Packing and insurance will be added to the shipping charge.
Please see the Terms of Sale/Shipping page for more information about deposits, warranties and shipping.